Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chemo Motivated Musical Extravaganza


Ok. Here's a project that might mean my blog gets used more than once a year.
Long story short:

  1. Spencer and I were engaged
  2. This was awesome
  3. Spencer had back pain
  4. This sucked a bit
  5. Spencer went for MRI scan and found out he had cancer
  6. This sucked like nothing else
  7. We got married
  8. This was awesome like nothing else
  9. Spencer started chemotherapy and I'm taking care of him (and working as much as I can around this).

Due to the chemo side effects, Spencer has struggled to find things he can manage to do, as he notes here:

I have 64.92 days remaining until my last dose of Chemotherapy, and officially I'm just about to finish week 5/15. What I've discovered during the last few weeks is that fatigue, for me at least, is by far the worse thing about chemo and has generally meant most days are spent on the sofa listening to music and not being able to handle much else (including moving for anything which at it's worse requires 15mins of psyching up beforehand). The constant fuzzy headed feeling makes concentrating on books or any work, or laptop in general also quite a task and there is only so much TV one can watch.

Spencer decided an entertaining way to help pass the time could be to listen to as much different music as possible, given it's the one thing he can generally manage even on fairly bad days. Plus it's a minimal effort thing we can do together, and togetherness is what marriage is all about. (right? I'm new at this - no one shatter my illusions!)

Being the King of Internet Research About Gadgets and Things, Spencer determined the best place to start was besteveralbums.com with only a small amount of help from me. The site lists the top 1000 albums of all time determined by their aggregate positions in over 2,500 different greatest album charts. Neither of us necessarily agree on the chart, but who ever agrees with these things?

It's a musical journey which should broaden our horizons, or possibly make us realise we are terribly narrow minded when it comes to music.

1 comment:

laura said...

Yes...Got the togetherness thing right...worth more than anything...Good luck
laura x