Sunday, February 28, 2010

Binge Knitting Anonymous




So I'm attempting to make a blanket...


This tends to happen every winter. Once it starts getting cold and dark I get the urge to knit. I think it's partly because when I was young my mum would spend the summer doing outdoor things, such as digging, planting things and chasing whichever of her four children was currently a toddler through the mud. When the nights started drawing in she'd seize the brief minutes of free time when we weren't demanding something and read, knit or bake.

Actually, maybe the baking was us demanding cake?

Anyway, one of my strongest childhood memories of my mum is about her knitting, often with purple wool. I think my brain sees knitting as an appropriate winter activity but unfortunately it has no staying power and I binge-knit for about a month and then put it all away until next winter.
Logic says this should mean I have a stockpile of blanket squares by now, as this is what I always decide to knit. But no, somewhere along the line I have repeatedly lost all the progress I made and this is why I am showing you a photo of only 7 squares of potential blanket.

But look how fluffy and colourful they are!
I bought a mixture of wool balls from Ebay, random colours but all fluffy types. I found doubling up the threads with those made knitting a square nice and quick and a blanket of those type of squares would have a lovely, thick, draping feel.
The non-fluffy deep pink squares were a lovely, thick wool from John Lewis. It was so nice to knit with but too expensive to do many squares in that. Perhaps now I've shown this to the Internet I might be motivated to finish it!

1 comment:

HedgeWytch said...

I really like the colours you've chosen - and I'm looking forward to seeing your blanket grow :)